The castle (Tower-house) ruin pictured above is an example of the archaeological remains we have surveyed. Others can range from completely restored to completely destroyed. The technical detail, structural information and history for each monument will be similar to the following example.
Directions and Access:
Ballinruddery castle lies 13 km (8 miles) NW from Abbyfeale (Mainistir na féile) or 2.8 km (1.7 miles) East of Listowel. From the N21 at Abbyfeale take the R524(N) then R555(NW) through Duagh (Dubháth) at the 7 km point, then turn right(N) at 12 km. After arriving at BALLINRUDDERY CASTLE (SMR KE011-015----) parking is available at the side of the road near a farm gate. Ballinruddery Castle is on private land and therefore not open to the public. Photographs should be taken from the roadside.
Approaching the ruins of this tower house from the south we observed that the West wall has completely collapsed. The remains of Ballinruddery castle indicate that it was a four storey plus attic tower house, with slight base batter. The E wall still has the partial remains of the gable end, with a small attic loop. Below that on the second floor there is a much larger cross-window with a hood-moulding above it. Another loop is located at ground floor level. At third floor level a bartizan with gun ports clings to the NE angle. The river Feale passes by on this side at the bottom of a steep slope.
Looking into the interior there are splayed loops in alcoves on the N and E sides. At first floor level there is a fireplace in the N wall. The second floor has another cross-window located on the S wall. On the third floor there is a small pointed arch doorway situated in the NE angle that provides access to the bartizan. Each storey has beam support corbels suggesting all floors were constructed of wood. A small fireplace is located in the existing gable end of the attic. Drawings and plans will be included where possible.
Historical notes: (We are always looking for more historical information)
Ballinruderry (Town of the Knight) or (Knights of Kerry)
The parish of Finuge, pronounced (Fionnuig) in Irish, is a local corruption for (Fionnóg), which signifies (Préachán) a crow. Extracted from The Antiquities of County Kerry by John O'Donovan 1841
John Fitzgerald - 12th Knight of Kerry, was granted by the House of Commons in 1665, return of his lands and castle in the barony of Clanmaurice. By 1742 Daniel Fitzgerald 13th Knight of Kerry, had a lease forever on Ballinruddery Castle and lands. The “Knights of Kerry” occasionally lived in Ballinruddery Castle and, later, lived in a nearby 17th century mansion (also known as Ballinruddery) until C.1870
Maurice Fitzgerald often stayed at Ballinruddery during the 1830’s
Hereditary knighthoods are of feudal beginnings and in Ireland include:- The Knight of Glin, or the Black Knight, the Knight of Kerry, or the Green Knight and the White Knight.
NB: The historical notes are composed of synopses from the many reports written about the specified monument or the people involved in its history.